Photos: Jovana Marković
Next to “Dorćol”, “Kosančićev venac” is the oldest and the most beautiful urban neighborhood of Belgrade.
Kosančićev Venac is located along the elbow-shaped street of the same name, 700 meters west of the downtown. It developed on the western ridge of the ending section of the ridge of “Šumadija” geological bar, which extends from “Terazijska Terasa” to “Kalemegdan” fortress, which is a continuation of “Kosančićev Venac” and overlooks the port on the Sava river, the northernmost section of the popular neighborhood “Savamala”. The neighborhood is named after Ivan Kosančić, who died in 1389 on Kosovo, according to the legend.
“Kosančićev Venac” is practically the oldest section of Belgrade outside the walls of the “Kalemegdan” fortress. From this point the new Serbian town, as opposed to the old Turkish one in the fortress, began expanding in the 1830s along the right bank of the Sava into “Savamala”. In 1979 “Kosančićev Venac” was officially added to the “Spatial Cultural-Historical Units of Great Importance list”, and it was named the “Monument of Culture”, with explanation:
“it is the area of the oldest Serbian settlement, the first developed administrative, cultural, spiritual and economic center of the city with specific ambient qualities”.
Several important buildings of Belgrade are located on “Kosančićev Venac”:
- Residence of the Princess Ljubica (built 1829-31; officially a museum, section of the Museum of Belgrade)
- Cathedral Church of St. Michael the Archangel (built 1837-40)
- Patriarchal See of the Serbian Orthodox Church
- Znak Pitanja (Question mark) the oldest kafana in Belgrade
Dragana Kostica is the Belgrade-based editor in chief and founder of Still in Belgrade art, culture and club scene magazine. She holds a Master of Arts in Cultural Policy and Management in Arts (MA of Arts) and a Bachelor degree in Archaeology.